In Python, the
break statement is used to exit or terminate a loop prematurely. It is primarily used within
while loops to stop the execution of the loop’s block of code and move on to the next section of the program.
Here’s an example to illustrate the usage of the
break statement in a
count = 0 while count < 5: print("Count:", count) if count == 3: break count += 1 print("Loop ended")
Count: 0 Count: 1 Count: 2 Count: 3 Loop ended
In the above code, the
while loop is executed until the
count variable reaches a value of 3. When
count becomes 3, the
break statement is encountered, causing an immediate exit from the loop. Consequently, the program moves on to the statement after the loop, printing “Loop ended.”
break statement can also be used in a
for loop in a similar manner to prematurely terminate the loop.
How do you add a break in Python?
To add a
break statement in Python, you simply need to write the keyword
break at the point where you want to exit the loop. The
break statement should be placed within the loop’s block of code, where you want to stop the iteration and move on to the next section of the program.
Here’s an example that demonstrates how to add a
break statement in a
while True: user_input = input("Enter a number (or 'q' to quit): ") if user_input == 'q': break number = int(user_input) result = number * 2 print("The result is:", result)
In this code, the
while loop continues indefinitely until a user enters the letter ‘q’ as input. When the input matches ‘q’, the
if statement is executed, and the
break statement is encountered, causing an immediate exit from the loop.
Note that the condition
True is used for the
while loop, which ensures that the loop keeps running until the
break statement is encountered.
- How to do Single Line for Loop in Python
- What is Len() in Python With Example
- What does V mean in Python?
- What is Async and Await in Python With Example
- For i in Range Python Example
- What is a decorator in Python With Example
- Can you do a for loop with a DataFrame in Python?
- What is ‘Self’ in Python With Example
- What is Keyword Argument in Python with Example?
- What is Inheritance With Examples in Python
- What is Token in Python With Example
- How to Use def in Python With Example